Wedding Wednesday: on my Dream Wedding Dress & New York Fashion Bridal Week

This is my first 'wedding Wednesday' blog post and it feels funny because I've never talked about wedding stuff in such a public...

This is my first 'wedding Wednesday' blog post and it feels funny because I've never talked about wedding stuff in such a public way – except for that Instagram photo the day after we got engaged. I guess it's go big or go home, right? You might be thinking "how are you gonna start this series talking about wedding dresses when you didn't even mention you were getting married before?"; I know, I know, I'll get to that in a future post, so just bear with me right now.

Today I'm gonna talk about one of my favorite things in the world: yes, you guessed, dresses! The truth is that I've been delaying this post a little, because even though I'm happy and eager to share my two cents on wedding fashion, somehow it felt "wrong" to talk about it without first experiencing it a little bit. Naturally, I've been getting a lot of "how are the wedding plans going?" and the truth is that we still don't have a whole lot going on. We have a date and a venue, and everything else is sort of in the making. However, I did have my first bridal salon appointment last Friday and it was both amazing and terrifying at the same time.

While I still haven't found my wedding dress (didn't expect to do so in my first viewing), I did some progress by finding a lot of what I don't like. I strongly believe in magazines and vision boards (both online and offline), but I think all of that vision gets clear when you actually go and try on the dresses; while I absolutely love puffy tulle dresses, I didn't really love the ones I tried. And trust me, they were gggggggggggggorgeous, it just didn't click.
When I came home that night David told me "I'm sure you look great on everything and even if you look really ugly, everybody's gonna say you're beautiful" (yes, that's the man I'm marrying 😂). And while I appreciate his sweet sense of humor, I disagree; it's not about what looks good, it's about what feels good. As someone who's been dreaming about her wedding for probably half of her life, I want an I-can't-get-married-wearing-something-else kinda dress, something that when I try it on I think "this is it". And honestly, I don't know if that's how this works (I met a woman who told me her daughter tried on 36 dresses and decided for the very first one, so...), but I'm gonna try and I'll let you know...

And what's a better time to look for wedding gowns (or just inspiration) than right after New York Fashion Bridal Week? I've put together a few of my favorite designs from the Fall 2017 collections that were presented a few weeks ago. So far, the vision is clear: I'm in for the appliqué, the beading and all the lace that the bridal fashion world can give me.

Allure Bridals || David's Bridals || Mark Zunino for Kleinfeld || Watters
Alyne by Rita Vinieris || Blush by Hayley Paige
Anne Barge
Badgley Mischka
Carolina Herrera || Lela Rose
Hayley Paige
Inbal Dror
Lazaro
Marchesa Notte
Marchesa
Monique Lhuillier
Naeem Khan
Oscar de la Renta
Pronovias
Reem Acra
Rivini by Rita Vinieris
Romona Keveza || Temperley London
Sachin & Babi
Vera Wang
Zuhair Murad
What does your dream wedding dress look like? Any favorite designers?



Photos from Brides, Vogue and WWD.

You Might Also Like

0 comments