Two Years in New York

I've been dreaming about  obsessed with New York ever since I can remember, really. When I was about 3-4 years old, my imaginary ...


I've been dreaming about obsessed with New York ever since I can remember, really. When I was about 3-4 years old, my imaginary friends (yes, I had a few of those) disappeared and when my mom asked me about them I simply told her that they moved to New York. Did I know where New York was or even what it was? Probably not. But my 3-year-old self must have thought it was a pretty amazing place if I was willing to send my dearest friends all the way up here. And how right I was!

Maybe it was all those beautifully-shot photographs and movies; I personally blame "Sex and The City" and "Gossip Girl" for feeding my dreams. But in reality, New York City is nothing like the movies, it's so much more...

Fast forward to Summer 2016 and this concrete jungle went from a vacation place, to a place I couldn’t believe I walked down the streets of every day (sometimes I still get that rush of excitement in my body when I’m walking around), to home. The past two years have been absolutely wonderful. Scary and lonely (AF) at times, but without a doubt, two of the best years of my life.


I LOVE NEW YORK:

Like many others, I always dreamed about living in New York. But deep inside, it seemed more of a pipe dream than anything else, I honestly never thought it was going to be possible... When I was about to graduate from college was when I got serious about it, that was my moment to do something or do nothing. Because if you really want something you can't just sit around and wait for things to fall into place one day.  So I started my research... No matter how crazy it seems, it's important that you follow your heart. At some point, I felt like this was the place where I needed to be in order discover who I was; a few months later I had a visa in my passport and a plane ticket with my name on it. As crazy as your dreams may seem, life is crazier, and that’s the only way it’s always going to be. You just have to trust (yourself, the timing of your life, God, the universe, all of the above, or whatever you believe in).


WELCOME TO NEW YORK:

It's July 2014 and I'm on a plane to JFK. I've dreamed about this for 20+ years and I've listened to "Empired State of Mind" and "New York, New York" more times that what I'd like to admit (I've even made a playlist). I've realized that there's a difference between talking about doing something and actually doing it; I've realized that there's a difference between dreaming your dreams and living them. It's hard (both physically and emotionally) and a little bit insane, but absolutely amazing. And so so worth it.

At the beginning I lived under that constant “WOW! I really am here!” feeling; but also, there were so many days when I asked myself “what are you doing here?!”. I constantly questioned myself, my decision, and whether or not I did the right thing. Moving to a foreign country, 2,000 miles (3,500 km.) away from home with just a couple of bags (okay, 2 big heavy bags and a carry-on) might seem totally insane to most people – and yes, it is, absolutely. But it’s also the most terrifying (the good kind) and amazing thing you can do.


EMPIRE STATE OF MIND:

It sounds crazy, but I do believe New York has made me the person who I am today. I’ve found my inner strength and my superpowers; I’ve learned to let go and I’ve become closer to what matters the most: to be happy, to love and be loved. I’ve changed for the better and with me, so did New York, from being a strange new city to a place that feels like home. And even though I no longer wonder what am I doing here and I’ve passed the point of not believing that I really live here, there’s always a feeling of happiness that comes over me when I see the city’s skyline and yes, my heart does a little dance.

This past couple of years had lots of ups and some downs, but definitely many more good days than bad ones. Nobody knows what the future holds and I don’t know if I’ll be in this city forever, but I know that New York will always and forever hold a very special piece of my heart. It’s where my life began.


Happy 2 years – and 1 month, New York!

(Images via my Instagram; follow me for more)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. So exciting! Glad you followed your childhood dream and are now living in it! <3

    BlondieInTheCity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hayley 💗. & thanks for stopping by!

      Delete