Birchbox June 2106 Review

Definitely my favorite thing about subscription boxes is getting to discover products and brands. I've been doing it for a year now, ea...

Definitely my favorite thing about subscription boxes is getting to discover products and brands. I've been doing it for a year now, each month I try over a dozen samples (and sometimes full sized products) and I can honestly say that it has always been a pleasant experience. You do get the occasional thing that you won't use (for me is lipstick), but in general I try and use every single product I get and that keeps me happy. But the real joy comes when you find that product that you didn't know you needed and now you can't live without; an awesome brow gel or a life-changing BB cream. After all, I think trying something is the best way to decide if it's right for you.


Regarding the design, the June box was one of my favorites ever. The geometric design and the pastels palette was just lovely; it's a box that I want to keep to put on display on my desk, maybe to storage some stickers or something. But I do have to say that it was both a surprise and a bummer that the inside of my box wasn't as wonderful as the outside. Apparently my box failed packaging quality and didn't come with any of the usual information cards and no tissue paper inside to wrap the samples. Aside from that, the contents were nicely balanced with 3 makeup products and 2 skin care products; everything was worth about $35 which is standard for Birchbox and great for me since the subscription is only $10 a month.




Benefit Cosmetics - Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel (05 Deep) | full size $24: This gel really "gives you brows", without lines or powder and it looks completely natural; think of it as the mascara of the eyebrows, adding thickness and color. I'm still learning how to master the application technique since I find the tip of the brush to be a little bit thick for the outer end of my eyebrows (way easier to do with the Precisely, My Brow Pencil); but other than that, this product is truly amazing and I'm definitely adding it to my 'must-haves'.


Laura Geller - Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator (Gilded Honey) | full size $26: I wasn't expecting to love this product a whole lot (because let's be honest, it looks rather cheap), but I'm actually obsessed with it since the first try. The formula goes on smooth, blends fairly easily and stays put for many hours giving you a beautiful and outstanding golden glow perfect for this season. Use it on your eyelids or cheekbones, or really wherever you want since it's so pretty! Definitely a must if you are a highlighter lover, you won't be disappointed.


Marcelle - BB Cream Golden Glow | full size $27: This is hands down the best BB cream I've ever tried! The formula is thicker than your average BB cream, but it blends nicely and the coverage is amazing without looking or feeling cakey; definitely good enough to use it alone as a no-makeup makeup foundation. It hydrates the skin, disappears blemishes, diminishes pores and give you a very nice glow that lasts for hours. Also, something that I found quite of amazing is that there's just one shade and it works great with all skin tones, so you don't have to worry about finding a match good enough for you. I'm definitely adding it to my makeup staples.


Balance Me - Skin Saviours Congested Skin Serum | full size $21.50: After using this 'congested skin' serum for a few days on a regular basis, I noticed a great improvement on my skin; it made my face look and feel healthy and clean, sort of glowing. The formula is very lightweight and it doesn't give you that greasy feeling (like many serums do), but it doesn't dry out the skin, either. My only problem was definitely the scent, which is nice and fresh (citrus-like) but extremely overpowering and I'm not sure that's something I want on my face, regardless of the good results it provided. So, if you really don't care about strong scents on your skin care, go for it because it's really good! (& free of parabens, sulphates, artificial fragrance and colors, and a bunch of other bad things).


Lavanila - The Healthy Sunscreen sport luxe SPF 30 | full size $22: I was very excited about getting this product, but sadly I have to say it was sort of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I do believe it works fine and gives you SPF protection throughout the day with rain or sweat; my problem with it was the texture. The formula is greasy and very thick which makes it super hard to evenly apply, feels waxy and sort of like rubbing partially dried glue on your face (and you can't really wash it off because it's waterproof). Also, it has a light clay tint that gives the skin some sort of beige tone and for my medium complexion that wasn't working, either.

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Awesome! I might have to try that brow mascara thing, I'm always looking for ways to up my brow game!

    Lindsey
    The Fashion Barbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you girl, the Gimme Brow is life-changing! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. That birchbox is so cute! Baked Gelato look so good!

    Characters & Carry-ons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, I want to try the other shades. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The illuminator is so beautiful! :D -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning, makes me feel like a fairy because it's really shiny but not like "powdery", it really makes you glow. Thanks for stopping by, Audrey!

      Delete
  4. Awww your Birchbox is so much better than mine! I've got tons of shampoo samples... I need more makeup in my monthly boxes!

    http://stylesprinter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried re-customizing your profile? Maybe let them know that you're not really interested on shampoo, lol. For example, I hate receiving perfume vials, so I put in the options that I'm not really interested in receiving that kind of samples. I did received shampoo and conditioner like two times in the past months, though; don't really fancy it, but it's good to take with you if you travel.
      Thanks for stopping by, Katya!

      Delete