Glossybox April 2016 Review

One question that I get asked a lot regarding beauty subscriptions is "is it worth it? to pay for something you don't really know ...

One question that I get asked a lot regarding beauty subscriptions is "is it worth it? to pay for something you don't really know what it is?" And my answer is always the same: it depends. I've been receiving beauty boxes for almost a year now and I've never opened one to say "ugh, I hate everything!". Sure, sometimes I get stuff I don't really use (like lipgloss), but there's always gonna be something that's perfect for me and totally worth my money. Besides, it's just so convenient! I don't remember the last time I had to buy mascara, a face cleanser, or hair oil. I always have the products I need and (at least) 10 more on the way, (no more running to Sephora last minute because I ran out of moisturizing) and that's something that for me is priceless. But I think the trick with beauty subscriptions is that you have to be open minded and willing to try everything; if you are that kind of person who only sticks to specific brands (I used to be like that), this lifestyle is not for you.


I know many people out there who's not particularly fond of "paying for samples" and I totally understand where they're coming from (if you go to Sephora and ask nicely, you can score some free samples for sure). But something I've always loved about Glossybox is that they never make you feel like you're paying for a box full of samples (because most of the times, you're not). My April box (valued at $78) came with not only 1, but 3 full-size products and 2 gorgeous sample-sizes! No matter what, every month Glossybox finds a way to make a girl feel (and look) extra special (for only $21).




Unani - Dermo Defense Face Mask | full size $18: I'm happy with almost every single face mask out there, but what I love the most about this one in particular is how easy and mess-free it is to apply and rinse out. The formula is very lightweight, clear gel-like and you don't need to apply a lot of product because it goes on smoothly and evenly without any effort. It left my skin feeling and looking refreshed, hydrated (but not oily) and radiant! Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to find this product to buy online; this Spanish site offers it for €16 + €20 shipping rate, and someone is selling it on Amazon for $16.40 + $9 shipping.


Norell New York - Eau De Parfum | full size $150: One thing that I love about GlossyBox is that they would never send you one of those hateful perfume vials; is not very often that they send fragrances, but when they do, they do it in the nicest way possible. I'm obsessed with this Norell perfume sample; not only the scent is truly amazing, but the bottle is probably the fanciest and cutest teeny-tiny thing I've ever seen. The smell is sweet and floral, strong but not overpowering. It's not a Paris Hilton-like perfume, but neither a grandma one; it's a grown-up and very luxurious fragrance and I'm totally a fan! I like it so much that I'm seriously considering getting the full size. By the way, how amazing is this Baccarat bottle (just to see, of course)?


Biossance - The Nourisher, Precious Rose Face Oil | full size $72: Between cream moisturizers and face oils, I like creams the best; however, I've come to enjoy the Biossance oils I've received in my Glossybox. Since I got it, I've replaced my night face cream with it; I apply it after cleaning my face and before my sleeping mask. The formula is very lightweight (for an oil) and clean-feeling, with a delicious rose scent that is fresh and light, not overpowering at all like many rose-scented products out there. It nourishes and hydrates the skin without clogging any pores. The best part is that you only need a 3-5 drops to cover the entire face-neck area, so it lasts for a very long time.


Leighton Denny - Expert Nails Nail Polish (Pillow Talk) | full size $19: I've loved nail polish ever since I can remember and I've built a big collection over the years. However, my nails are the kind of nails that don't hold on to nail polish for a long time; if I get a regular manicure, the color will last about 2-3 days before chipping and that's why I opt for gel polish if I go to the salon (at home I use Sally Hansen Miracle Gel top coat). I have to admit that when I opened my April Glossybox to discover this nail polish I wasn't very excited; "if only I had a dollar for every red nail polish I receive...". But after trying it, I was greatly surprised. The brush is big, so the application is extremely easy and pretty much mess-free (a huge deal if you paint your nails at home); the shade is a beautiful strawberry red color (the picture doesn't do it any justice) and the best (and personal favorite) part is that it doesn't chip very easily. My nails looked perfect for about 5 days with only 2 coats of this nail polish and a regular clear top coat (not gel), which is a huge deal for me. I will definitely consider Leighton Denny for future nail polish purchases.


Studio 10 - Brow Lift Perfecting Liner | full size $20: When it comes to makeup, eyebrows are a huge deal for me. I can leave my house with no lipstick or no blush, but never without doing my eyebrows. Brows on point = life on point, right? Anyway, I was pretty excited to try this product and I swear I wanted to love it, but honestly, it was kind of a disappointment. Regardless of the pencil color looking really dark, the pigment is rather light, and even though it adds up building the color pretty easily, my eyebrows are pretty dark so it was hard for me to get a natural dark shade. Also, maybe because of how much I had to use, the texture wasn't very 'chalky', but more 'waxy' and this made my eyebrows look like they were drawn, literally (and if I blended the product it disappeared fairly easy); it's probably great for people with light brown/blonde eyebrows, not for me. On the other hand, I absolutely loved the highlighter side of the pencil and I've been using it every day. The formula is very creamy so it runs smoothly and blends easily; also, I love the fact that it's not shimmery, it's kind of like a concealing pencil and I think the shade is perfect for most skin tones. Please note that for every Brow Lift Perfecting Liner sold, Studio 10 will donate one to Look Good Feel Better, a charity that supports women affected by cancer and helps them feel positive, confident and regain control over their appearance.

What are your thoughts on beauty subscription boxes?

You Might Also Like

0 comments