20 Things You Should Do in Your 20s

Whenever my birthday is approaching, I like to sit and think about all the things I've done in the last couple of years and about all t...

Whenever my birthday is approaching, I like to sit and think about all the things I've done in the last couple of years and about all the things I would like to accomplish in the next few years; it's sort of a "who are you and what do you want" therapy kind of thing. Of course, as I get older my plans for the future have been changing, and for many different reasons (mostly the fact that I'm getting older, ew!), things that I wanted to do 5 years ago are no longer on my bucket list since they don't seem relevant or really important anymore.
So far, my 20s have been awesome and I've done some great things (like moved to another country!);  and like everybody else in their 20s, I'm enjoying while I try to figure out what is that I'm gonna do when I grow up (trust me, no one in their 20s actually knows what the hell they're doing or how to adult, so don't worry about it). Luckily for me, I still have quite some time to do all these things that I think we all should do before we hit our 30s.



1. Learn how to swear in, at least, one new language. Maybe it sounds much more sophisticated in French.

2. Create a photo album out of Facebook or Instagram! One day you'll thank yourself for having tangible proof of you being amazing in your 20s.

3. Organize your first cocktail party, where girls wear little black dresses and everybody toasts with champagne glasses and eats different kinds of cheese.

4. Buy an obscene book, an adult movie or really anything else that you felt ashamed of buying before. Treat yourself and have fun!

5. Take your boyfriend/girlfriend to a cheap motel... When you’re 30 you won’t tolerate low quality linen.

6. Are you still single? Have a one night stand (or any other variation of this)! If you like it, do it again a couple of times.

7. Expand your social circle by asking friends that you admire to set you up in a date with someone they admire.

8. Go on a blind date without asking a million questions about the guy/girl. Just go for it!

9. Go out to have dinner by yourself. Sit at the bar with a book or a magazine and just relax without checking your phone every two minutes.

10. You know what kind of wine is your favorite (yes way rosé!). Now see why you like it, so you can describe the flavor, body and acidity of your choice to the expert and ask for recommendations. But better yet, if you're really serious about wine (and I hope you are), take wine classes!

11. Have an spontaneous weekend escapade; decide on Wednesday what city you want to visit on Friday by buying a ticket on promotion. You won’t have time to make excuses that keep you from going.

12. Buy a piece of jewelry (or anything, really) that means what you’ve achieved so far. Your self-confidence will elevate every time you look at it.

13. Stop wearing clothes that don’t go with you and start wearing the ones that are really 100% you; those that make you feel more comfortable with your body and your style when you wear them.

14. Get rid of the "you know?", "like" (guilty!) or any other other vocal habit that you've acquired in high school; it really doesn’t do you any favors.

15. Join a charity organization or do some volunteering. Having such motivation makes you interesting and more productive.

16. Ask for a raise when you deserve it. It’s exciting and essential for advancing your career.

17. If you have a full time job, ask the administrator of the company about the benefits of opening a retirement account. Seriously.

18. Clean up your social circle by eliminating the “dead weight”. Yes, you know who those are; it's hard, but ultimately freeing.

19. Think of an immortal hero of the old school (Audrey Hepburn, John Lennon, Jackie O, James Dean, Grace Kelly…) and adopt them as a role model that inspires your attitude and style.

20. Discard all negativity; letting go of the old will give you the opportunity you need to receive new and better things.

What other things do you think we all should do in our 20s?


You Might Also Like

0 comments