Sugar Cookies (in 20 minutes)

I honestly don't have a sweet tooth and any day I would choose a cheeseburger over a cheesecake. However, baking is one of those things...

I honestly don't have a sweet tooth and any day I would choose a cheeseburger over a cheesecake. However, baking is one of those things I love doing just for fun. When I first moved to New York I would bake brownies and blueberry muffins at 2am, right in the middle of a Netflix marathon me and my roommates were having. But the truth is that baking can also be very tiring and long, and that's probably the reason why I don't do it more often. Waiting an hour for that dough to cool in the fridge, or over an hour for that apple pie doesn't make me very happy – and let's not talk about the bazillion pots and pans you have to clean afterwards...

The other day I was really craving some warm sugar cookies but getting dressed and going out just to get cookies (I usually get them at Insomnia Cookies) seemed kind of silly. So I took a look at my kitchen pantry and decided to just go for it and bake them myself; I used only ingredients I already had (no baking soda, no problem) and the minimun count of utensils. The result? My cookies were pretty delicious (if I may say so myself) and the whole process was done in about 20 minutes! If you ask me, that's what I call a perfect baking experience.


Ingredients (makes about 18 3'' cookies):
  • 1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter (softened)
  • 3/4 cups of white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch of salt
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
  4. Add the egg and vanilla extract.
  5. Gradually, blend in the flour mix.
  6. Roll (or just flatten by hand) rounded tablespoonfuls of dough.
  7. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets (I used only flour, you can use parchment paper if you wish) leaving about 1'' between each cookie.
  8. Bake from 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned at the edges.
  9. Let them cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to cool completely.

Enjoy! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments